If you are experiencing a mental health emergency, please call 9-1-1 for immediate assistance.
- If you or someone you know is experiencing suicidal thoughts, please call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 800.273.8255 or Text “TALK” to 74174; Options for Deaf and Hard of Hearing 1.800.799.4889
- Disaster Distress Helpline 800.985.5990 24/7 or Text “TalkWithUs” to 66746
- The Veterans Crisis Line supports Veterans in crisis and their families and friends through a confidential toll-free hotline, online chat, or text. Veterans and their loved ones can call 800.273.8255 and Press 1, or send a text message to 838255 to receive confidential support 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
- Trans Lifeline 1-877-565-8860, is a 501(c)3 non-profit dedicated to the well-being of transgender people. We run a hotline staffed by transgender people for transgender people. Trans Lifeline volunteers are ready to respond to whatever support needs members of our community might have.
- Texas Health and Human Services Mental Health and Substance Use Resources https://hhs.texas.gov/services/mental-health-substance-use/mental-health-substance-use-resources
- The Office of Behavioral Health (OBH) manages and delivers the services and supports necessary to improve the quality of life for citizens with mental illness and addictive disorders. https://ldh.la.gov/subhome/10
- American Psychological Association has various topics from addictions, ADHD, anger, depression, emotional health, learning & memory, pain, parenting, etc. https://www.apa.org/topics
- NAMI is a not-for-profit organization providing services to improve the lives of all persons affected by mental illness through support, education, and advocacy-based https://namigreaterhouston.org/ Houston Phone Number: 713.970.4419; NAMI’s National Information Helpline: (800) 950-NAMI
The information provided by external resources – including third-party websites – is designed to provide helpful information on topics and community resources. Transformative Therapy Centre’ does not endorse or accept responsibility for the content, use, or availability of resources provided by external websites or agencies. Transformative Therapy Centre makes no representations as to the eligibility of any particular client to receive any benefit or the effects – such as those impacting immigration status.
Mental Health Links
The following links are listed to provide you with additional online mental health care information and counseling resources. The following is not meant to be a comprehensive list, nor is it an endorsement of the consent of the sites.
Associations & Institutes
American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry
American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy
American Counseling Association
American Psychiatric Association
American Psychological Association
American Psychological Society
Canadian Mental Health Association
Center for Mental Health Services
National Institute of Mental Health
National Mental Health Association
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration
Child Abuse and Domestic Violence
SAMHSA’s Children and Families
SAMHSA’s Protection and Advocacy
Questions and Answers about Memories of Childhood Abuse
The National Domestic Violence Hotline Website
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
DSM-IV-TR: Diagnoses and Criteria
Dissociation and Traumatic Stress
Sidran Foundation Home Page
Journals & Magazines
Anxiety, Stress and Coping
Early Child Development and Care
Journal of Gambling Studies
Journal of Happiness Studies
Journal of Mental Health and Aging
Journal of Sex & Marital Therapy
Journal of Sport and Exercise Psychology
Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment
Language and Cognitive Processes
Loss, Grief & Care
Metaphor and Symbol
Personality and Individual Differences
Psychology of Men & Masculinity
Studies in Gender and Sexuality
Suicide and Life-Threatening Behavior
Trauma, Violence & Abuse
Medications and Health Supplements
Drug Interactions, Drugs.com
Drug Interactions, DIRECT
SAMHSA’s Psychiatry and Psychology
Mental Health Care General Links
Let’s Talk Facts, APA
Mental Health Counselor Resources, About.com
Mental Help Net
University of Michigan Health Topics A to Z
Web Sites You Can Trust, Medical Library Association
Personality Disorders – Focus Adolescent Counselor Services
Resources for Black / African Americans
- Black Emotional and Mental Health (BEAM) Collective– “A collective of advocates, yoga teachers, artists, therapists, lawyers, religious leaders, teachers, psychologists and activists committed to the emotional/mental health and healing of Black communities.”
- Black Girls Smile– “Ensuring all young African American females receive the resources and support necessary to lead mentally healthy lives.”
- Black Mental Health Alliance– “Mission: To develop, promote and sponsor trusted culturally-relevant educational forums, trainings and referral services that support the health and well-being of Black people and other vulnerable communities.”
- The Boris Lawrence Henson Foundation– Mission: Eradicate the stigma around mental health in the African American community.
- Inclusive Therapists– Inclusive therapist directory, online trainings and workshops, and inclusive mental health events.
- My Brother’s Keeper– My Brother’s Keeper, an initiative of the Obama administration, aims to unite and amplify the voices of black
men through mentorship.
- National Queer and Trans Therapists of Color Network– A healing justice organization that actively works to transform mental health for queer and trans people of color in North America.
- The Safe Place App – Mental Health app geared toward the Black community. App features include: Black mental health statistics,
inspirational black quotes, self-care tips
Black Communities Online and Beyond
- 100 Black Men of America– Working to improve the quality of life within the African American Community.
- Dive In Well– Resources, gatherings, and workshops working toward an inclusive wellness industry.
- Ethel’s Club– “A social and wellness club designed to celebrate people of color, online and IRL.”
- The Marsha P. Johnson Institute (MPJI)– A community that heals, organizes, advocates, and develops transformative leadership, and
promotes our collective power.
- Project LETS– Peer Support for Mental Healing.
- The Unplug Collective– “a place where Black and Brown women and non-binary folks can share their stories about existing in their bodies without being silenced or censored.”
The Top 50 Addiction & Mental Health Resources For Black Men (southeastaddictiontn.com) – We’ve compiled a list of the top 50 resources to support Black Men who are struggling with addiction or mental illness.
- https://beam.community/– Black Mental Health and Wellness Collective.